Yesterday I spent the day installing Windows XP on my Eee PC. Today I figured I'd show you the results. This video shows how long it takes to boot and shutdown Windows XP. And then as a bonus I boot Xubuntu off an SD card. Xubuntu would probably load a bit faster if it were installed on the SSD, but I figured this was the easiest setup for now. In the future I may try to install both operating systems to the 4GB SSD and use my SD card for storage.



As you can see, it takes about 45-50 seconds to get a usable Windows desktop after pushing the power button. It takes a good 30-35 seconds to shut down, which is a little disappointing, but not a deal breaker, especially since the Eee PC goes to sleep just a few seconds after you close the lid. It takes about a minute to boot eeeXubuntu. Neither OS loads quite as quickly as Xandros in Easy Mode, but I can get Windows up and running in about the same amount of time it takes to boot Xandros in Advanced Mode. I think upgrading the RAM to 1GB would probably speed things up a tiny bit as well.

2 comments:

frames said...

"In the future I may try to install both operating systems to the 4GB SSD and use my SD card for storage."

That looks like a good idea to me. Well, not the part about installing Windows ;-)

In fact, I had proposed to move /home in Linux and My Documents in Windows to an SD card in our blog (in Spanish), leaving the SSD exclusively for programs and the SD for personal data. I personally see that as a natural way of dealing with storage in the Eee PC.

Using an internal (modded) USB memory stick would be even cooler.

And if the Eee can effectively access both the SSD and the SD at the same time, you might enjoy a slightly quickie access to programs in Linux, as it does normally gather info from /home each time you open a program. I do that in my PCs at home.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't even bother putting windows on there unless you're willing to buy a new hard drive. Everytime you boot up windows it creates certain files to do so, and when you shut them down it deletes them. A solid state hard drive won't live that long if you keep on deleting files on a certain sector. So then if you go to install a new operating system the hard drive will most likely be corrupt.


acelebration of womens khong familys mi sitios de diseno my site cheap technology museum planners new cesar dubo weddings and hair styles sim flecks iphones chile new phones blog